10 June 2010

New Woman

The first week "getting back into things" is always tough. It seems that the very first day is the easiest, because your resolve and focus are brand new. Maybe that second day is as easy. But then you start to feel "real life" kick in. When you leave the safety of your home - which has no cupcakes, brownies, potato chips, etc - it's a bit more difficult to keep up the good habits.

Add to this the unique "challenges" shall we say, that a woman's hormones present. This week was particularly brutal in that regard. I wanted red meat, I wanted chocolate, I wanted salt - and damnit, if I wasn't going to have it then my body would make me pay.

Last night, a friend came to town and wanted to watch the NHL finals. Instead of being boring and watching at our apartment, we went to a sports bar, along with another friend. I really, really wanted a burger - I had been feeling hungry and had been struggling to stay on track all day. So I ordered a burger - a turkey burger. With fries. And a beer. And it was the. Best. Turkey Burger. Perhaps ever.

And you know what?

I feel awesome today. I went back in and added the calories for what I ate, and while I was about 1,000 calories over budget (including the snacks I had when I got home before going out - oops), it's not the end of the day and it's certainly not the end of my getting back on track. I'm moving on.

Today I've had some yummy kashi cereal with fresh strawberries and almond milk, with peanut butter toast. I have physical therapy later this morning and plan to pick up a delicious salad from Pret a Manger (my favorite: chicken and avocado, full of yummy Omega 3!), then go to the office. I'll make sure I've packed snacks, because I am going to spin class at 6:30 this evening - woohoo!! Tomorrow I train with Ed again.

I'm a new woman, even if I don't look like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment